Find What You're Looking for Here:

Monday, September 9, 2013

Garter Art

I searched everywhere for a pretty and reasonably priced garter with NO SUCCESS.  Craft stores sold cheap ones, but they looked cheap.  The ones that I wouldn't mind wearing cost no less than $50 and the ones that I really wanted were priced at $80 and up.

So being as cheap frugal as I am, I decided to make my own.

Supplies:

  • 4 ft. of stretch lace (found at Hobby Lobby) - with 40% off coupon $1.50
  • Metallic "stickers" 3 pack (found at Michael's) - with 50% off coupon $1.50
  • Floral embellishment 2 pack (found at Michael's) - with 50% off coupon $1.50
  • Needle and white thread
  • Scissors
  • Hot glue gun
Directions:

1.  Buy stretch lace and an embellishments you want for your garter.  Determine how much lace you need by measuring around the area of your thigh you want to wear the garter on (I doubled that length because I wanted to make a set).

2.  Wrap lace around thigh and cut to desired length.  Sew ends together using matching thread.

3.  Attach embellishments.  I hot-glued everything on with small amounts of glue and then sewed them on as well.  This will vary depending on what you use.

4.  Flip garter inside out.  Roll onto something to hold its shape (I used a rolled up newspaper in a plastic bag, a magazine in a bag would work just as well).  
5.  Create a zig-zag pattern with the hot glue along both the top and bottom of the garter.  Let dry.  This will help to keep the garter from sliding down your leg.  




Here is the end result (garter set for under $5):




1 comment: