Find What You're Looking for Here:

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Welcome Bag Books DIY

I just finished making my Welcome Bag Books!  The total cost of this project was $3 for 60 books ($2.50 for a pack of cardstock and $0.50 for the ribbon).  If you're interested, here's how I did it.

1.  Decide what information you're going to put in your book.  I included the a welcome note, contact info, wedding day timeline, directions and a map, local eats and shopping, local events, and info for our Wedding Party app.

2.  Type everything up and format it.  I used the standard 8.5" x 11" computer paper and cut it in half for the pages, so each "page" I created in Word looked like this.  Each page in Word was equal to two book pages.


3.  Decide what order your pages will be in and print the pages double sided accordingly.  I figured it out by printing out one 'draft' version of everything and moving it around in a good order and then numbered the pages.  Pages 1/2 would be printed double-sided, pages 3/4 would be printed double sided,etc.

4.  Print your pages and then cut each sheet in half.  You can use a paper cutter if you have access to one.  I just pulled out the sharpest pair of scissors I had and sat in front of the TV for a few hours. 
Note:  I printed my very first and very last page on cardstock.

5.  Take a half sheet of paper and create a guide for the hole punch.   I put exactly 2.1 cm between each hole punch and did 4 hole punches.  It worked perfectly.  

6.  Put each book's pages in order. 

7.  Using the guide, hole punch each book.

8.  Next, I stapled my book together, just to ensure that it stayed together. (One staple between Hole 1 and Hole 2 and another staple between Hole 3 and Hole 4 - see the numbering below).

9.  Finally, thread the ribbon through.  Starting from the back of the book and leaving about an inch of ribbon as a "tail", go up through Hole 1, down through Hole 2, up through Hole 3, and down through Hole 4.  Leave a "tail" of 1 inch of ribbon on that end too.


10.  Flip your book over to the back.  Take both tails (one coming out of Hole 1 and the other coming out of Hole 4 and glue them over the piece of ribbon already running through the back of the book.  It will look like this when done.



No comments:

Post a Comment